AgroClimate Mozambique Decision Support System
About the Project
Adapting AgroClimate for climate smart agricultural management in Mozambique.
Drought, floods, heat stress, and disease incidence have been reported as major challenges faced by growers in Mozambique, therefore, a version of AgroClimate for the region (http://mz.agroclimate.org/) was created. It takes advantage of the strong influence of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) phenomenon to anticipate expected weather patterns based on the ENSO phase. Since Mozambique lacks station-based long-term historical and current weather data to drive the system, the website was developed using spatial data from by CFSR, CFS and FEWS-Net datasets provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). The tools currently available on the website are the weather forecast, climate summaries and statistics for each ENSO phase, and optimal planting dates for tomato based on ENSO information. Future tools include optimization of irrigation management and plant disease control besides the definition of crops sustainability for the country. This project was funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC).
- Gelcer, E.M., Fraisse, C.W., Zotarelli, L. 2015. Sistema de monitoramento climático: AgroClimate Moçambique. In: Haber, L.L., Ecole, C.C., Bowen, W., Resende, F.V. (Eds.), Horticultura em Moçambique: Características, tecnologias de produção e de pós-colheita. Brasília: Embrapa, p. 275.
- Gelcer, E., Stevens, F.R., Montone, V., and Fraisse, C.W. Agroclimatic zoning in Mozambique to reduce risks of tomato production. In: Southeast Climate Consortium Planning Meeting, Gainesville, FL, Nov. 13-15, 2013.
- Gelcer, E., Stevens, F., Montone, V., Fraisse, C.W. 2014. Effects of El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO) on the agroclimatic zoning for tomato in Mozambique. Poster presentation at ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA, Nov. 2-5 2014.
- Gelcer, E., Fraisse, C.W., Perondi, D., Pavan, W. 2014. AgroClimate Mozambique: Adapting AgroClimate for climate smart agricultural management in Mozambique. Oral presentation at ASA, CSSA, and SSSA International Annual Meeting, Long Beach, CA, Nov. 2-5 2014.
- Gelcer, E., Perondi, D., Zotarelli, L., Fraisse, C.W. 2016. An AgroClimate tool to determine the effects of ENSO on irrigation needs for tomato production in Mozambique. Poster presentation at ASABE International Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, Jul. 17-20 2016.